Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Whirlwind

I am in a crazy season of ministry right now. I am leading two small group settings, REAL Men of Genius and the Edge Young Adult Sunday School class. I'm also writing a curriculum supplement for a new small group movement at church that will be centered on the Gospel of John. I'm spearheading a church wide movement called Church ReVerb. I've preached twice in the last 3 weeks. I'm co-leading a 3 hour teacher training seminar at the end of the month and I begin leading the leaders of the John small groups in an indepth bible study. Simultaneously, I am doing intense study and work in the book of Ephesians (Sunday sermon series), 1 and 2 Timothy (REAL Men of Genius) and the gospel of John (lifeWorth Groups).

Two men were in the woods chopping down trees. One man had a relentless work ethic...vowed to keep at it until the work was done and just kept a fierce pace at all times. The other man took breaks every hour, sat and drank coffee and sharpened the axe while he drank. By the end of the day, the man who took the breaks was much farther along in tree chopping than the one who went at it relentlessly.

We need to sharpen our axes. Frantic pace can only be maintained for a short period.

I've got a 48 hour prayer retreat coming up at the end of the month and then if things work out, I will take vacation for two weeks in September.

If anointing seems to be missing and there's not a whole lot of progress in your chopping, now is the time to look at how and when to get away.

so what are you doing to sharpen your axe?

No comments: