Friday, July 10, 2009

All aboard the Discipleship...or not

I've been frustrated with the level of commitment to Christ and to growth in Christ for some time now, both in my life and in the lives of the people around me.

I'm frustrated that we pick up the latest Harry Potter or vampire novel before we go to the word of God.

I'm frustrated that we choose drinking parties rather than choosing to drink deeply from the rivers of God's mercy and grace.

I'm frustrated that we serve the pursuit of Mammon (Matthew 6:24) far more than we serve the pursuit of God.

I'm frustrated that we proclaim abstinence to the people of Kenya as a matter of life or death, but don't really believe that it is the same for us.

I'm frustrated...but my friend Lori said something pretty helpful, that all these areas of frustration stem from a lack of experiencing Christ as Lord, Love and Life. When Christ penetrates our heart, our motivation changes...

We long for his word, for his presence, for holiness which comes from him, for committed community, for God's standard of purity.

I am weary of mediocrity...God stir in our midst.

When you get to the end of your life, what are the things that will be said at your funeral? Do they match up with what you want to be said about you?

No comments: