Friday, May 30, 2008

Grandmama


My Grandma Dilyard passed away this morning around 2 a.m. I was thinking about some of the values that I can attribute to her. Here goes...

Compete with all you've got. - My Grandma taught me how to play checkers when I was probably in first or second grade. She was ruthless. I've never seen someone light up after triple jumping a seven year old the way she did haha. But that competitive spirit challenged me to get better and work hard. Growing up, she always played games with me when I asked. Whether it was checkers, 31 or Pass the Trash, we always had a good time.

Persevere- This woman went through 8 decades of challenges, both worldwide and personally. She buried a daughter, a son, a husband, a grandson and a son-in-law. In some ways, I think the dimensia at the end of her life was a blessing, allowing her to forget some of the many heartaches throughout her lifetime.

Laugh Often- I think the greatest thing I appreciate about my Grandma is that up till the end she had a wry and witty humor about her.

In the midst of my grandma's passing, I've had some time to reflect on my own mortality. What is it that I want those around me to remember about my life? Am I living in such a way that these things will come to pass?

Enjoy the weekend!

No comments: