Wednesday, February 13, 2008

4 Letter Word

There is a word that bothers almost everyone in my generation. For many, its worse than an F-Bomb or that water retention device beavers construct. It is COMMITMENT. I am not sure what the reason is, but to get people to commit to anything is always a challenge.

I heard recently of a study done on the vigorous sport of bowling. The study said that more people in the United States are bowling than ever before. But while this is true, the number of bowling leagues/teams is at an all time low. Ok...so what? Well the guy who did the study suggests that people want to do things on their own time...unrestrained by commitment to groups. I will bowl when I feel like it...on my time...with my people.

The common response when I invite friends to do something is "Yeah, I should be able to make it." When translated, "I could potentially be there if no better opportunities arise between now and then, and if I still feel like it at that time."

I realize that a big part of this is culture...the 'post-modern mindset'...but what happens when the teacher says, "Come and follow me." The revolution does not allow us to say, 'sorry teacher, my show is on'. Or when He says "Love me with all your heart, all your strength and all your soul," we can not respond in any way BUT whole hearted commitment.

A revolution starts with the turning of one heart...will it be yours?

No comments: