Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Where did January go?

Well, here we are...one/twelfth of the way through the new year already. I think it is good to have a discipline of looking back. Sometimes in our immediate context, we can't figure out what God is doing (or if God is doing anything at all). Looking back at the positives and the negatives can help us be aware both of His presence, and maybe our own areas of struggle. Here's the highs and lows in my first month of the new year.

Highs
-Shaina and I were introduced to Wadsworth United Methodist Church. I have come on board as the Young Adult Minister, focusing on the 18-30 age group. We have been well-received and I have met individually with a hand full of young adults to get to know their hearts and passions.
-Shaina and I got away for a weekend up to Cleveland. We stayed at the Hyatt (probably a once in a lifetime deal) and had a chance to relax. It was much needed.
-I have been working through Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for His Highest." It is a challenging devotional. I have been journaling through the process.
-I joined a basketball league in Wooster and have got to connect with a few guys through that.

Not-so-Highs
-Shaina and I both got hit with the flu at the beginning of the month.
-I am already lagging in my seminary work. (Not really because of procrastination...just really busy.)
-Because of the above 'not-so-highs', I am also behind on my devotions. I am staying positive about this though. Sometimes in the past I have felt guilty about not spending X amount of minutes with God each day. This is not from God. The main thing is to be pursuing my relationship with him. If it happens 5 out of 7 days in a week, thats better than 2 or 0.

Have a good rest of the week. Stay tuned for the next chapter...I will deal with why I agree with those who CHEAT THE CHURCH.

No comments: