Thursday, January 24, 2008

The genius of Ozzie II

Entry for January 18 (I know I'm a week behind in my devotional!) "The greatest competitor of true devotion to Jesus is the service we do for him." The Lord sort've slapped be upside the head with a brick on this one. There is a difference between serving out of my own striving and serving out of the overflow of being with God. Think of the image of a well. If I see the great needs of the people in the village and try to quench their thirst by running to the well, getting a cup and running back to the village, I end up tired (and thirsty myself), and the goal of reaching the people is inefficient. But if I simply take the time to drink deep from the well and then go to the village filled up, telling the people of the rich taste of the well, people will go to the well out of their own thirst (not because I tell them they are thirsty.)

Reminds me of Psalm 23:1-3
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; 3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.
What if Jesus followers stopped at the Well to drink deep?

No comments: