Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Letter to My New Daughter

Little Lady,

I wanted you to know I am thrilled that you are here.

Your mom and I want you to know that names are really, really important to us. Just ask your sister, Chaia or your brother, Marquis.

So we named you Sloane Promise Thompson.

One of the first times your mama preached, she helped me to reclaim the Hebrew word Ezer that is often translated as helper or helpmate and is used to describe what Eve was for Adam. Your mama pointed out that most every other time that Ezer is used in the Old Testament, it is referring to God and it is in the context of battle. It doesn't refer to the one who ties up loose ends for the husband or exists solely to serve, support and sustain her husband. Eve was designed and crafted to be a warrior alongside Adam. To fight alongside and go after this life with purpose and focus and grit and fierceness.

That sermon changed my life in a really good way and it helped me see what your mama has always been with me. Not someone who is along for the ride, but is meant to go with me in tenacity and resolve, in good times and in bad. When I lost my mom and dad and really lost my drive and passion to live, your mama fought for me. When your sister was fighting for her life, your mama fought with me to see her become a life of joy.

Sloane, your name means warrior. We pray that you embody this name and that there is a relentlessness in you that is this great mixture of resilience, conviction and beauty.

But we do not want you to fight for just anything. Your middle name is Promise. There are so many promises that God has spoken to His people. He will not leave us or forsake us. He is making all things new. He has reconciled us to him and wants us to be reconciled one to each other. He wants to revive all things, redeem all things and restore all things. We want you to fight for that. We want you to fight for justice and peace and grace and hope. These are the promises that Jesus points us to.

Sloane you are a gift sweet girl. Our family is better with you in it. And when we look at you and recall your name, I pray that we recall our own invitation to fight for hope to join God in restoring this world and bringing love and joy back to the song we sing as a world.

That, my love, is worth fighting for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new baby girl! I have been following your blog since your family was put on our prayer list at work. Although I have never posted, I do read what you write and I am so happy for you all. God bless your new addition!