Monday, November 26, 2012

The Trifecta

Thanksgiving Weekend this year had three key battles in the football category. I am proud to say that for the first time in recent memory I was rooting for the winner in all three cases.

Thursday Morning, in a rare Alien Bowl Heat Wave, Alien Bowl IX kicked off with four teams in my home town of Smithville. We have played this game every year on Thanksgiving morning in my cousin, Nate Dilyard's honor. This year 32 folks gathered on 4 teams, and I am proud to say that the trophy is back where it belongs!

Then Saturday, Ohio State toppled the team up North to complete an undefeated season. I think the buckeyes were largely winning with smoke and mirrors, but it is a cool thing to see Urban Meyer start off with a perfect season.

Lastly, the Brownies, in the midst of an abysmal season (again) faced their arch nemesis, spawn of the devil, Pittsburgh Steelers. It was an ugly, ugly game, but after the 8th Steeler turnover, I could finally exhale knowing that we were victorious...albeit against Pittsburgh's 3rd string quarterback.

Regardless, it is a rarity that all three of these games take place in the same weekend and even rarer that my teams come out victorious.

So...OSU ends the year undefeated. My team holds the Alien Bowl Trophy for 12 months and the Browns are on a win streak. Yes...in Cleveland one win constitutes a streak.

Enjoying it while it lasts.

No comments: