Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It's the Little Things

Ok...got to be honest...been in a funk recently.

I stated a handful of times this weekend that the solution to various issues I was having was to shoot people. That's not very pastoral. haha.

I think the combination of high stress and low sleep in crisis has caught up to me.

The verses that some old guy smacked me with are 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

These three little things have been tough to do lately.

Rejoice always...because no matter what, Jesus has altered my destiny.

Pray Continually...because prayer = my demonstration of my need for relationship with God. (So then, what does prayerlessness = ?)

Give thanks in all circumstances...Even when the circumstances aren't good. Even when you don't 'feel' thankful.

This funk has me thankless. My heart has gone to what I may not have with Chaia. I may not get to interrogate boyfriends. I may not get to walk her down the aisle. I may not get to teach her about Christ, biblical Hebrew, how to play sports and play music.

When we aren't thankful...we focus on what we don't have rather than praising for what we do.

Chaia is over 7 months old. She is defying odds every day she pushes forward. I got to clean up a pile of yack from this morning's feed, which means she is awake for another day. I get to walk through this hard journey with my best friend, Shaina and see her strength and resiliency. I have watched the Church and family and friends rally around us as a family in need of support, which has shown me such hope and potential in God's Bride. I am not jaded with the Church. I am thankful for the Church. And this morning, when I was getting meds for Chaia at some hour in the morning that I resent being up, I saw this:



Yes it is a bunch of unwholesome, unhealthiness. But its mine! My wife thought of me. In the midst of the chaos, she thought of me.

Look your circumstances will either lead you to thankfulness or they will lead you to self-pity, frustration, and coveting what you don't have. Scripture is pretty clear which is the better way.

So, on a day that brings up so many various thoughts and emotions from so many...get over it...be thankful for what you do have and live well.

Five things that show your attitude of gratitude today?

Me? Redemption.My Wife.Church.Mountain Dew.And this:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things...feedings, spitting up....meds....are weighing you down! You guys are an awesome family and the struggles you have been through and will continue to go through will be the tests we all are unaware of when we take a new leap into our future! Always going forward is the answer to the future, unaware and unassuming, one step one day at a time. YOU must know you can reach out to anyone for a prayer, a hand, a hug at anytime! Keep going forward...Chaia is beautiful!!!

Cathy said...

Lifes struggles can really bring you down. But with Christ beside us, we can do it. He carries us, like the footprints in the sand. You have given me inspirations and a new meaing to faith. When I grumble, I then think of you and your family and then I stop, realizing life is good. God Bless and continue prayers for you and your family.

Jackie Thompson said...

Be thankful I didn't shoot Shadow. You'd have been very sad. Love you and continue to pray

Anonymous said...

Love your Valentine's Day present...Your beautiful daughter and all those cases of Mt Dew! Thanks for the bible verse...that one is going in my little book of verses that I keep in my purse for when I need a reminder, or a verse to share. You guys are amazing. Hang in there. Sharon