Monday, August 1, 2011

An Axiom to Live By

Got hit by a line in yesterday's message. Quoting John Oswalt, "We tend to become like what we worship."

This can be an encouraging or devastating truth. If you're worshipping Christ, and you become more and more like Christ, this is a liberating and life giving statement.

But if I worship my stomach, I'll become grumbly and dissatisfied. If I worship my wallet, I will become stingy and lack generosity. If I worship democracy I will become entitled and demanding of 'my rights'. If I worship anything other than the Living God...it will be evident in my character and lifestyle.

So...the challenge for us...Who or what are we becoming?

And be careful presuming that lipservice will pay off.

Isaiah 29:

13 The Lord said:
Because these people draw near with their mouths
and honor me with their lips,
while their hearts are far from me,
and their worship of me is a human commandment learned by rote;
14 so I will again do
amazing things with this people,
shocking and amazing.
The wisdom of their wise shall perish,
and the discernment of the discerning shall be hidden.
15 Ha! You who hide a plan too deep for the Lord,
whose deeds are in the dark,
and who say, “Who sees us? Who knows us?”
16 You turn things upside down!
Shall the potter be regarded as the clay?
Shall the thing made say of its maker,
“He did not make me”;
or the thing formed say of the one who formed it,
“He has no understanding”?

No comments: