Thursday, July 28, 2011

Rest

There's a theory that the Creation account in Genesis is a continual crescendo...that every day outdoes the day before.

I've heard people use this train of thought to land on humanity as the apex of creation. Day six...man...and then woman...and it was very good.

But there's a day 7.

If we follow the line of thinking that each day outdoes its predecessor then that means day 7 is the culmination.

And God rested.

Rest.

Shalom. Peace. Harmony.

That takes our inflated view of ourselves (idolatry) and knocks it down a notch and says...shalom is the point.

Now, very quickly (like barely a chapter later) unrest breaks in...and has been the story for millennia since. Sin, pain, discord...the anti-shalom.

But then Jesus comes on the scene and makes a pretty interesting statement in Matthew 11:28-30

28 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Whammo. The great reversal...in the subtlest of forms...Jesus says the way back to Eden. The way back to Shalom...is His Way...because He is The Way.

So unrest and peacelessness in your life have a solution.

Where do you need to yield?

No comments: