Wednesday, July 21, 2010

faith of a child

I did a wedding last Friday (my first ever!) I was privileged to marry Jason and Lauren Murvine and as my grandpa says..."I tied a good knot." Haha...they are stuck together...not because of me, but because of the love they've found together through Christ.

One highlight for me was sitting in the pastor's office with the bridal party waiting for the ceremony to begin. The ring bearer was a little guy of 4 years old and he was asked to tell us a story. He proceeded to tell us word for word the story of Noah's Ark and then the Prodigal Son. He apparently listens to Bible stories before he goes to bed as they are told by a British guy...(this little dude even used a british accent when he got excited! haha.)

But I was impressed that a 4 year old had such a foundation.

The 'Shema' found in Deuteronomy 6, recited by Jews each day is a great principle for parenting.

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.a 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. 6 Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. 7 Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise. 8 Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblemb on your forehead, 9 and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

No comments: