Wednesday, May 26, 2010

You are the least of these.

Matthew 25 is becoming a life forming passage for me. It's the sheep and the goats. The sheep are the good guys...they clothe the naked, feed the hungry, give the thirsty a drink, visit the imprisoned, welcome the homeless, and care for the sick. We are supposed to be sheep.

But here's the thing...Even when we're sheep we can get it wrong. Sometimes I am a sheep so that people can see my sheepishness. I want people to acknowledge how I serve the poor, help those in need...or I help others out of a spirit of haughtiness. I want them to note my ability and means to help them.

But what you and I both need to remember is that we are the least of these that Jesus was speaking about. He's covered our nakedness with grace. He's given us the bread of life. He's supplied us with living water. He has set us free from bondage. He's healed our infirmities. He's welcomed us home.

I want it to be clear as we wrap up the Sheep Initiative that it is not what we've done for God and for others...It's what God has done in, through and for us and others. Because what you and I do and who we are is nothing, compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus as Lord.

I am just a beggar, trying to tell other beggars where to find food.

No comments: