Friday, April 23, 2010

GLIMMER

today is a great day. Can't tell you how excited i am for GLIMMER! Our church staff has come together to pull off a fun night to appreciate the servants of the church.

With all things, there are critics. Some have said that in the middle of budget crunches and economic challenges, having events like this are unnecessary and 'extravagant'. I suppose that view needs to be acknowledged, but here's where I come down. Businesses operate this way...they see their bottom line shrinking and so the first thing that goes is the efforts and gestures to show appreciation for the people who work for them. I've been there and seen it...and I've seen what such belt tightening does to the employees...Negativity flourishes.

The Church is not a business...and while the servants here are not paid...they are both employed and deployed by the church to engage in God's mission in the world. And morale matters here just as much or more than the business world.

Really excited to say thanks and share in some fellowship and morale building with over 100 of our servants tonight. There are going to be some memorable moments to say the least!

2 comments:

Jeff Honnold said...

Ben, I couldn't agree with you more. I heard about this event and about some of the criticism and applaud you all for holding this event.

I pray that the evening goes better than anyone could plan or hope for and that all those in attendance have a fabulous night and are blessed as the staff gives back and serves all of those that regularly give of themselves and serve others.

father michael said...

Great post, Ben. Too often, we think of the Church as just another organization that we attend.

I quoted you on my blog.