Thursday, February 25, 2010

Puttin' on the Preachin' Hat

I typically preach once every two months. I love preaching and would do it every week if I had the chance...but being able to put a month or two of thought and prep into messages has spoiled me (not that I'm cramming that whole time...but I am thinking it through and preaching it in the car.

That said, I am preaching/teaching at 4 different venues in the next month. First, I preach at my church, Wadsworth UMC, 3 services on March 14. Then, two days later, I am teaching at Baldwin Wallace on the topic of Heaven to the college Campus Crusade movement. Then April 2, I am bringin' the Word on Good Friday to young adults at our RISE service. Finally, I am leading a Leadership Training evening that focuses on effective teaching strategy. I am excited for all of these...but I am curious how easy it will be to prep 4 totally different topics for 4 totally different audiences.

With that in mind, I have taken today as a sermon prep day and have driven an hour to perhaps the quietest place on Earth. The Ashland Theological Seminary Library, where I have commentaries, dictionaries, lexicons and other books all to myself.

It has been a good morning and now I am preparing to meet up with a good friend for lunch and then it will be back to the grind...hoping to have two of these talks completed by day's end...Then its home to see my lovely wife and maybe watch some Cavs vs. Celtics.

Feel free to pray for God's revelation in my day today..."Without Revelation, the people perish." Proverbs 29:18

No comments: