Friday, April 3, 2009

End of an ERa


I remember when I was about 11 or 12 years old that I finally had permission for an extension on my bed time on school nights. It was actually only on Thursdays, but that was fine by me. I got to stay up until 11 and watch ER. Last night, after a 15 year run and well over 100 emmy nominations, this hospital drama came to an end.

One of the things that I appreciate about this show is that it had an uncanny ability to address difficult issues in the medical field that challenged and sometimes strengthened our ethics/morality.

The writers did a fantastic job of tugging at the heart strings of the viewers week in and week out. The characters were developed and became a part of the household. Names like Ross, Carter, Hathaway, Benson and Green are all etched in our minds.

The end of the show wasn't anything unique. It simply stuck with what had worked for the show for 15 years. The agony of death and the beauty of life and rescue in the ER.

So if you watched this show over the last decade plus, any favorite episodes or characters?

1 comment:

Jackie Thompson said...

I missed the finale,go figure, since I can't stay awake past 7:30pm, but enjoyed watching the show over the years. My favorite character was Dr. Green, with Carter a close second. Reruns should be fun to watch