Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Stadium Mustard #4

I chose this one as a top five 2011 blog post because I like the picture...and I like the X-Men and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so my bias toward mutant types is shining forth.

Mutants and Mangers



Have I mentioned that this is not how I'd envisioned parenting?

I mean seriously? Shaina carries the same mutated gene that I do and we somehow both choose Mount Union, she falls for my stunning good looks and shoulder length blond hair? We get married and our little mutated genes do the mutated gene dance and out pops this little mutant? Less than 180 cases of this worldwide? There's 7 billion people now. And its Ben and Shaina's mutated awesomeness that gets to be one of the 180?

This is not the story I'd write.

But here we are, day 81 (who's counting right?), and God is using Chaia's story to impact people all over. It is pretty incredible. And the Gospel of God's glory is being revealed. Again, the Trinitarian Huddle in the heavenlies is not having a trouble shooting review session to see if it was Jesus or the Holy Spirit who missed the mutated gene hook up of Ben and Shaina. God has known all along of Chaia's story. And His fame and renown are becoming more tangible through this little mutant, than we ever would have scripted in our own idolatrous versions of the story of raising a child.

It's not the story any of us would have written. And yet this story is better.

2000 some years ago, the King of Kings was born. He could have been born in Rome or in some palace somewhere, to assume his place on the throne, but He was born in a manger...and let's not sanitize it. The scene, the scent, the sounds weren't anything like the nativity in your home. The King of Kings chose a trough not a throne. Chose Shepherds rather than royalty. Chose meekness instead of might.

It's not a Children's story.

And it's not the story any of us would have written. And yet this story is better.

The invitation of both the mutant and the manger is to enter a story that is not of our own scripting. It is much less concerned with career paths and 401ks. It laughs at investment portfolios and 10 year plans. It is a story that interjects hope in the midst of heartache. A story that surprises the condemned with grace. And baffles the broken with peace.

Maybe the best lesson for us this Christmas...

Is to put the pen down.

1 comment:

Joanne Sadlon said...

If we were voting, I would pick this as the best, at least of the blogs that I've been reading since Holly Z. posted Chaia's picture and message on her fb page.

This morning I said the Lord's Prayer, and I reminded myself that if I am ever at a loss for words to say in prayer, The Lord's Prayer is everything I need: "Your kingdom come, Your will be done." Matthew 6:9. Somewhere along the line we added the phrase "For yours is the kindgdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever."

Lately I've added yours - "put the pen down."
Amen.

Thank you for letting me be a part of your lives and for the opportunity to be used by God to pray for you and Shaina and your beautiful child. May God bless her with great news from the tests this week!