Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Manna Principle

It's probably the most impactful sermon I've ever listened to. I don't know if it was as earth shattering as it was simply timely.

When I was in college, I heard a preacher named John Hampton speaking out of Exodus. He was talking about how Israel was sustained supernaturally in the wilderness by God.

Every day, manna appeared for the Israelites to feast on. The rule was, don't bother taking more than you could use that day...because by tomorrow it would be rotten.

In other words...Israel had to trust God to get them through today. And then tomorrow.

It's the Manna Principle. God will give me exactly what I need for today...no more no less.

One Day at a time is the most annoying cliche in hospital lingo ever...and yet, it is exactly the message of Manna. God infuses His grace into our lives at just the right time in just the right ways.

Chaia is stable still. The biggest task in her life is to wean off the ventilator that is doing a good portion of her breathing and keeping the work off her heart. The vent is good...but the vent is bad. And she will only make it if she makes it off the vent.

And she will. A day at a time.

One grace-infused day at a time.

And you will make it too.

Just find the manna.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Such a timely word! Believe it or not I was sitting in the pews when that sermon was preached a long time ago. We're persistently knocking at heaven's door on Chaia's behalf. God is able, and we are watching and waiting and calling on him to move.

Out of the depths I cry to you, LORD;
Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
to my cry for mercy.

If you, LORD, kept a record of sins,
Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
so that we can, with reverence, serve you.

I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits,
and in his word I put my hope.
I wait for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning.

Psalm 130:1-6