Friday, June 17, 2011

Another Quote

Not sure if I'm out of insights and thoughts this week, or if what I am reading is just resonating so thoroughly with my heart that I can't help but center on it.

Right now I'm reading two books for two different groups. Reading Radical for our Young Adult Sunday School class and Reading "Making Love Last a Lifetime" for our young couples small group on Sunday evenings.

This quote is from David Platt's book "Radical"

"Yet in the American Dream, where self reigns as king (or queen), we have a dangerous tendency to misunderstand, minimize, and even manipulate the gospel in order to accomodate our assumptions and our desires. As a result, we desperately need to explore how much of our understanding of the gospel is American and how much is biblical."

Mark Batterson says it well, "God made us in His image and we've been returning the favor ever since."

The M words Platt uses are convicting because they say a lot about my heart and yours. If I misunderstand the gospel it is because I'm not seeking it (and Him) enough. If I minimize the Gospel, I forsake the cross. If I manipulate the Gospel, I become god and idolatry isn't really something that is found under God's Facebook 'Likes' Page.

So, which of these is where you're struggling the most? For me, its pure minimization. I know what the Gospel demands and generally I don't seek to make it fit my lifestyle (at least that I'm aware of!) But often times I don't make it the sole passion of my life...I saw on my sister-in-law's facebook something that is not true of my life right now:

Jesus + Nothing = Everything.

No comments: