Wednesday, June 16, 2010

futbol

I'm not a soccer guy. In fact, before last week, I hadn't watched a soccer game in its entirety on television in my life. I just don't see the fulfillment in running around for 90 minutes on the off chance that you might win 1-0. Basketball at least leads to more abundant action!

Anyways, I am actually really engaged in following the World Cup this year. I think part of it is that I love that it has finally made its way to Africa, a continent that absolutely loves the game. Another part is that I can appreciate the unifying nature of the sport. Countries put their chaos on hold just to cheer on their team. It was really compelling to watch the North Korea vs. Brazil match. Supposedly the N. Korea fans were actually Chinese people paid to play the part.

I am rooting for the U.S. and all African teams, though they aren't doing particularly well. I think Ivory Coast is one of the better chances...though they are in the Pool of Death.

So, if you could pick one team to win the cup, who do you like?

1 comment:

Scott said...

Akron will win it all:)