Sunday, May 16, 2010

Where Have All the Prophets Gone?

Today was a stretching, powerful, uplifting, altogether draining, joyous, frustrating day.

I had the chance to preach on the Church as the Holy Nation. I've shared before about my concerns regarding the relationship between cross and crown in this nation...and today we went to some really tough places. I loved it...and I hated it.

Some people were moved by God. Some people were moved to tears. Some people were moved to anger. Hopefully all people were moved to think.

Here's my take on this from a prophetic preaching standpoint. I would guess most pastors relinquish the role of prophet and substitute it for people pleaser. Because if the people leave or if the people aren't happy, then attendance drops and giving drops...But here's the thing, when we stop being prophetic, repentance stops and revival stops and even if the numbers are consistent or even growing, if it is a lukewarm people, it is a waste of time.

I will not simply cater to the preferences of people and if I could speak one message to the next generation of church leaders, I would plead with them to choose the Truth of God's Word over and above the likes and dislikes of the people, because our aim as God's mouthpiece is to allow the Truth of God's Word to become the thing that the people like, hunger and crave.

"I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes." Romans 1:16

I request prayer coverage this week, as any time we dare to be prophetic an angry mob seems to form. Pray that I will humbly speak the truth and love and that any animosity that rises up would lead to conviction by the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

Alicia Penrod said...

That'll preach! This blessed my heart significantly. I always love your thoughts and walk away encouraged. I stand with you brother and am covering you in prayer! :)