Tuesday, August 11, 2009

King Me!



"you said to me, ‘No, but a king shall reign over us,’ though the Lord your God was your king." 1 Samuel 12:12

Why is it that I am always looking for answers and solutions from a king other than THE King? (I don't mean Elvis).

I'm reading a book right now called "A Problem From Hell" which looks at the American political approach and response to cases of genocide throughout the world in the 20th century. So far (and I'm pretty certain every case will warrant this) the U.S. supports a puppet political leader who has no support from the locals, then the U.S. withdraws its own and finally the U.S. approaches eyewitness tales of the genocide with skepticism and justification...and I blame the government...the president...the king.

I was thinking about this line of thinking this morning as I was in 1 Samuel and I started wondering why my default setting was so 'off'. Why do I want the U.S. government to try to make peace in these countries? The typical U.S. response to such conflicts is to arbitrarily bomb potential 'bad guy' sites...which kills more civilians than anything else.

No...the solution must be from the church...From the TRUE King. We, God's less-than-loyal subjects need to let God back on his throne and follow his lead.

This is true on a world level, but its also true individually.

What have I let have reign in my life that I am withholding from God? Is God king of my marriage? My time? My wallet? My workplace?

How about you? What one area of your life do you tend to kick God off the throne?

No comments: