Wednesday, March 25, 2009

deer, skunks and groundhogs oh my




One of the coolest parts of moving to our new place is the wide variety of creatures that are roaming around. At least once a week, I see a pack (or herd...or flock...) of deer hanging out by the driveway. There's anywhere from 3-10 of them just chillin' out, eating, or laying down in the field next to our driveway.

Then there's the groundhogs. If I can identify my life with any one animal its this guy. Short, stocky and always close to the ground (ask any of my basketball buds about my vertical jump!) These guys are a menace to farmers and even to our yard, but they are hilarious to watch.

Shaina has seen a skunk roaming around too, which I have not yet met, but I am just waiting for the day our dog meets up with him.

Add to that all the birds, chipmunks, squirrels and toads and it is definitely time for spring. It is neat to see new things being birthed after a season of stillness and barrenness. Tulips, daffodils and other things Shaina continually tells me the names of are starting to emerge.

This means more walks, golf, and cookouts. We're almost there!
What's your favorite part of spring?

No comments: