Thursday, October 16, 2008

Margins

We are either people who live within margins or people who live outside their margins. Those who live within have got to know the power of the word "No". Those who live without, don't have time to say "No".

I am marginless this week...and most of the time for that matter. I work 2 jobs and am a full time grad-student, a husband and a guy that tries to stay in shape by playing basketball. I am really feeling pressed this week. Deadlines, Timeframes, Due dates, Schedules, Meetings, Obligations, Expectations, Assignments...its neverending.

Yesterday as I was running from my last class of the day at 4 p.m. to Smithville to pick up my stuff for the rest of the night, then heading to church for dinner and Alpha, I decided to stop at WalMart and pick up some flowers and a card for Shaina. The card I got was perfect for how I feel right now...It said something along the lines of "I'm sorry I'm so busy and if I had 5 more minutes each day..."

If I'm honest though, 5 more minutes is not what I need. I'd fill them with the rush and frantic tasks that are swarming all around me...What I need is boundaries...margins.

The problem is, I don't know where to start. I would actually have to budget time to think about how to limit my margins and frankly, I don't have time for that. So here's to a week of Marginlessness: where everything gets done halfhearted, or not done at all. Prayer time and scripture time are both limited or eliminated...time with Shaina is obliterated, and my blood pressure has to be a few points higher.

How are your margins?

No comments: