Friday, August 22, 2008

softballs, baseballs and beachballs

This past Tuesday, our church softball team's cinderella run through the playoffs struck midnight. I'd like to say that if there wasn't a home run fence, we would have won, but that'd be lying. I think our 21 errors on defense may have contributed to our defeat lol. It was a good ride and I got to know a few guys through playing. Our offseason workout program has begun...I ate 3 pieces of pizza last night...I did curls as I lifted them to my mouth.


On Wednesday, my buddy Scott and I went to the Indians game. After their amazing run last year, we decided to go in together and buy a 6 pack of games so that we'd have good seats down the final stretch. It turns out the Indians have had a horrible year, plagued by injuries, traded away key players and have pretty much given up for this season. But anyways, the game was great. At one point in the 8th inning, the Indians were up 7-5. They only had 5 hits in the game at this juncture and all 5 of them were homeruns. I am pretty sure that would have been unprecedented in baseball. Cliff Lee pitched Thursday and got his 18th win. Any baseball fans out there? Who should get the Cy Young Award?

I have had a ridiculous week. It ended last night with a team of us taking welcome baskets to a new development at the edge of Wadsworth. I drive by it everyday and just felt like we needed to do something. We found out there will actually be 106 houses in the development (there are 20 now.) We need to go back to the drawing board about how to welcome so many people to our community. It was a really good night though and I am proud of the young adults who stepped up (and out of the comfort zones) to go meet total strangers.

Today has been a day I have waited for. I don't work at the pizza shop. I have a couple hours of church stuff to wrap up and then its off to the BEACH! Shaina, Shadow, my mom, and I are leaving around 4 p.m. to go to the Hilton Head area for a week to see my sister/brother-in-law/new baby nephew! This is the first time in my life where I just NEED a vacation. It's not that I want to get out of what I'm doing. I just need to detach. You know what I mean?

We are driving through the night, so if you read this between 4 p.m. and 4 a.m. pray for us!

No comments: