Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Most Wonderful Time of the Year

How was your Christmas? Shaina and I got up at 5 a.m. to open presents (well actually, I got up...was told not to wake her up until 7, and then covered up the bedroom clock and brought the presents in and deceived her into an earlier present opening time!)

I cannot believe how generous people were this year. Shaina got me an iPod nano, which I'm already throwing all of my music on. Shaina's parents/sister got me a new laptop (I've had quite a bit of computer misfortune in the last 6 months), also a couple gift cards and some Indians Memorabilia.

My mom let me pick out some books from Berean bookstores. I picked out a couple books by Brian McLaren, who is a controversial figure for many in the church. Stay tuned for a review in the next few months of "A Generous Orthodoxy" and "Everything Must Change". Right now I am reading a book by Henri Nouwen, titled "Can You Drink This Cup?" It was the last book he had published before his death. It is an easy read, yet reflectively it is challenging.

Anyways, top off the day with gifts from mine and Shaina's grandparents and I am simply overwhelmed by the generosity. This is truly the most wonderful time of the year...not because I got great stuff, but because people are moved to generosity. Think about that...does it not feel good to give? To bless others? To see the face of the one who is filled with joy because of your gift? Imagine if this generosity permeated the daily life of the church.

What is your favorite Christmas moment? Let me know. Reply to the Mustard.

No comments: